Technology tips and teaching strategies aligned with PowerUp WHAT WORKS.
Back to the Future: Using the Dictionary
In the “olden days,” when my children went to school, they carried a pocket dictionary in their backpacks, referred to the BIG dictionary we had at home, or pulled out from the back of their desk the school-issued hard-cover dictionary. They were... More...
Blended Mathematics Professional Development
I have been using the PowerUp WHAT WORKS website (www.powerupwhatworks.org) to find free and easy-to-use math resources for my blended math PD. Let me set the context. I am a lead trainer for the Michigan Integrated Mathematics Initiative... More...
Blended Professional Development: Writing
Tina Bloom, M.S., M. Ed., is a Field Site Liaison with PowerUp What Works and a Research Assistant with EDC. She is a certified elementary and special education teacher and was a classroom teacher for ten years. PowerUp WHAT WORKS ... More...
Year End Roundup: Top 15 PowerUp Blog Posts
As the school year draws to a close, we’re reflecting back a year’s worth of fantastic, high quality resources and teaching strategies. We've covered many topics, including how to use Twitter to grow your Professional Learning Network, the value of... More...
Lessons Learned about Blended Learning
Brad Neuenhaus is the co-founder of Keys to Literacy. Over his 7 years in education he has focused on developing on and offline materials and processes to support the professional learning of teachers and administrators. His interest is in... More...
Google Introduces Classroom, an App to Improve Classroom Instruction and Communication
Google Apps for Education recently announced Google Classroom, an innovative new tool designed hand-in-hand with teachers. Google Classroom integrates Google Docs, Drive, and Gmail to help improve teacher-student communication and maximize the... More...
Perspectives from the Field: Visualization, Close Reading and Digital Resources
Neil Schiavo is a Research Associate at Education Development Center, Inc. He has over 10 years experience developing materials to support the professional learning of teachers and administrators around the country. His interest is in implementing... More...
Perspectives from the Field: The Changing Technology Landscape
Tina Bloom, M.S., M. Ed., is a Field Site Liaison with PowerUp What Works and a Research Assistant with EDC. She is a certified elementary and special education teacher and was a classroom teacher for ten years. On May 2, I attended the Tech Forum... More...
Our Favorite 3 Free* Tools for Vocabulary Learning – Context Clues
Good readers automatically use a number of strategies when they encounter unfamiliar words, including the use of context clues. For students who struggle with reading, these strategies may not come as readily and they need direct and explicit... More...
EdTech Digest Awards 2014: iTooch from EduPad
The fifth EdTech Digest Awards winner we bring to you is... iTooch from EduPad Content Area: All Cost: Free trial, then $4.99-$9.99 for full download Earlier posts from this series: Arcademic Skill... More...
- Math (40) Apply Math filter
- Interacting With Peers (14) Apply Interacting With Peers filter
- Modeling (17) Apply Modeling filter
- Organizing (8) Apply Organizing filter
- Supporting Science (12) Apply Supporting Science filter
- Thinking Aloud (6) Apply Thinking Aloud filter
- Understanding Problems (8) Apply Understanding Problems filter
- Using Precise Math Language (10) Apply Using Precise Math Language filter
- Visual Representations (23) Apply Visual Representations filter
- Reading (38) Apply Reading filter
- Context Clues (7) Apply Context Clues filter
- Fluency (9) Apply Fluency filter
- Self-Questioning (10) Apply Self-Questioning filter
- Semantic Mapping (8) Apply Semantic Mapping filter
- Summarizing (20) Apply Summarizing filter
- Visualizing (20) Apply Visualizing filter
- Word Analysis (9) Apply Word Analysis filter
- Writing Process (30) Apply Writing Process filter
School-wide Tech Implementation
- Budget for Technology (8) Apply Budget for Technology filter
- Data Gathering and Analysis (7) Apply Data Gathering and Analysis filter
- Goals (6) Apply Goals filter
- Leadership Teams (19) Apply Leadership Teams filter
- Professional Development (48) Apply Professional Development filter
- Technology Access and Support (30) Apply Technology Access and Support filter
- Vision (12) Apply Vision filter
Supporting Struggling Students
Sep 21, 2018
Sep 05, 2018