Technology tips and teaching strategies aligned with PowerUp WHAT WORKS.
Modeling to Teach Math
As a mathematics coach at an elementary school, I met with teachers at the end of last year to set professional development goals for this year. They all agreed, “Let’s focus on modeling.” Striving to meet the needs of their students in relation to... More...
Listen to this Story
Lately, when I’ve been the passenger during a long car ride, I’ve been listening to The Moth Radio Hour (www.themoth.org), where “true stories are told live.” I love hearing the excitement in a storyteller’s voice as I follow the arc of a story. I... More...
Teach-ing Syl-la-bles: A Video Playlist
Syllabication is a core decoding skill, and as such, a basic foundational reading skill. As explained in The English Language Arts Common Core State Standards, foundational skills are not an end in and of themselves, but rather, a core component of... More...
The Changing Face of Research Project Reports
An educational rite of passage is for students, somewhere from the upper elementary grades through high school, to carry out one or more research projects and present/report out their findings. Recognize this familiar scene: A student is... More...
Let the Ideas Flow: Prewriting and Tech Tools
Prewriting frees the inner writer. Commonly considered the first step in the writing process (prewriting, drafting, and reviewing), it is that “protected” time for generating ideas without the pressure of producing a draft right away. The University... More...
Semantic Mapping: A Tool for All Reasons
As a teacher, literacy specialist, and consultant, I always found semantic maps (also called graphic organizers or webs) to be a hot discussion topic. Teachers found endless uses. Some used graphic organizers for vocabulary—to help students perceive... More...
Struggling Readers, Self-Questioning, and Digital Text
Many struggling readers are passive rather than active readers. They have difficulty interacting with and making personal meaning of the ideas in the text. One evidence-based strategy that helps students’ reading comprehension is self-questioning.... More...
2speak + 2listen + 2write + 2read = Math Language
The title of this blog is written as a tongue in cheek “equation.” The purpose was to show the four parts of language development critical for mathematical learning: to speak, to listen, to write, and to read. Being able to understand (listen and... More...
Using Word Clouds for Summarizing
The goal of summarizing a larger selection of text (e.g., an article, story, or chapter) is to distill the gist, key ideas, or main points. A summary, according to Webster’s, is the “general idea in brief form.” It is reducing the larger work into... More...
Using 3D Printing in the Classroom to Engage Students
Once more likely to be found in research institutions and universities, 3D printers are starting to pop up in schools and homes across the country. This new technology has the potential to change the way we teach and learn; from creating models, to... More...
- Math (40) Apply Math filter
- Interacting With Peers (14) Apply Interacting With Peers filter
- Modeling (17) Apply Modeling filter
- Organizing (8) Apply Organizing filter
- Supporting Science (12) Apply Supporting Science filter
- Thinking Aloud (6) Apply Thinking Aloud filter
- Understanding Problems (8) Apply Understanding Problems filter
- Using Precise Math Language (10) Apply Using Precise Math Language filter
- Visual Representations (23) Apply Visual Representations filter
- Reading (38) Apply Reading filter
- Context Clues (7) Apply Context Clues filter
- Fluency (9) Apply Fluency filter
- Self-Questioning (10) Apply Self-Questioning filter
- Semantic Mapping (8) Apply Semantic Mapping filter
- Summarizing (20) Apply Summarizing filter
- Visualizing (20) Apply Visualizing filter
- Word Analysis (9) Apply Word Analysis filter
- Writing Process (30) Apply Writing Process filter
School-wide Tech Implementation
- Budget for Technology (8) Apply Budget for Technology filter
- Data Gathering and Analysis (7) Apply Data Gathering and Analysis filter
- Goals (6) Apply Goals filter
- Leadership Teams (19) Apply Leadership Teams filter
- Professional Development (48) Apply Professional Development filter
- Technology Access and Support (30) Apply Technology Access and Support filter
- Vision (12) Apply Vision filter
Supporting Struggling Students
Sep 21, 2018
Sep 05, 2018