Technology tips and teaching strategies aligned with PowerUp WHAT WORKS.
PD on the Go: APPlicable: Improving Accessibility for All Users
Join us every Friday to see one of our favorite short videos to grow and enhance your practice. While you may not be an app developer, this week’s video demonstrates the paradigm shift developers experienced once they started taking accessibility... More...
How to Create Accessible Microsoft Word Documents
You know it is important to create documents accessible to all users, but where do you begin? What tools should you use? Creating accessible documents may seem overwhelming, but fortunately there are small changes you can make, including the use of... More...
Accessible Materials for Students with Print Disabilities
Many struggling and special needs students have a print disability. Unable to gain information from printed materials, their challenges only increase as they progress through school. Teachers can meet these students’ needs by translating... More...
What Can You Do About the Weather?
You can’t do anything about the weather—EXCEPT, that is, if you are a teacher designing weather-related instructional activities. Then you can build reading, writing, math, and science content and skills by integrating varied tech tool... More...
What’s New: Transforming Learning with Technology
Let’s visit innovative educational programs where learning is being transformed by technology. Students around the world are collaborating with researchers, authors, scientists, and public policymakers to expand their learning beyond the classroom... More...
What is Blended Professional Development?
Does your district or school implement blended professional development (PD)? A growing number of districts and schools are enhancing their PD with by offering a mix of face-to-face and virtual learning opportunities, such as: Typical Face-to-... More...
Graphing and Charting Tools to Meet Diverse Student Needs
PowerUp What Works offers eight math teaching strategies to integrate technology into evidence-based teaching practices. . The ability to read, understand, interpret, and create graphs and charts is critical for all students, especially... More...
Finding Value in Spark Notes
At the 2014 Conference for the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), Kelly Gallagher, admitted using SparkNotes No Fear Shakespeare to teach Hamlet. Here Shakespeare’s original language is presented on the left-hand page and... More...
Gaming Helps Struggling Students Learn
Greg Toppo discussed his new book, The Game Believes in You: How Digital Play Can Make Our Kids Smarter, on the popular Diane Rheme Show (NPR, Washington, D.C.). The book describes the many ways gaming can help children learn—especially... More...
Learning Comes Alive with Digital Storytelling
Digital storytelling is an engaging way to tell a story or present information by mixing computer-based images, text, recorded audio narration, video clips, and/or music. For struggling students, learning, comes alive as they: ... More...
- Math (40) Apply Math filter
- Interacting With Peers (14) Apply Interacting With Peers filter
- Modeling (17) Apply Modeling filter
- Organizing (8) Apply Organizing filter
- Supporting Science (12) Apply Supporting Science filter
- Thinking Aloud (6) Apply Thinking Aloud filter
- Understanding Problems (8) Apply Understanding Problems filter
- Using Precise Math Language (10) Apply Using Precise Math Language filter
- Visual Representations (23) Apply Visual Representations filter
- Reading (38) Apply Reading filter
- Context Clues (7) Apply Context Clues filter
- Fluency (9) Apply Fluency filter
- Self-Questioning (10) Apply Self-Questioning filter
- Semantic Mapping (8) Apply Semantic Mapping filter
- Summarizing (20) Apply Summarizing filter
- Visualizing (20) Apply Visualizing filter
- Word Analysis (9) Apply Word Analysis filter
- Writing Process (30) Apply Writing Process filter
School-wide Tech Implementation
- Budget for Technology (8) Apply Budget for Technology filter
- Data Gathering and Analysis (7) Apply Data Gathering and Analysis filter
- Goals (6) Apply Goals filter
- Leadership Teams (19) Apply Leadership Teams filter
- Professional Development (48) Apply Professional Development filter
- Technology Access and Support (30) Apply Technology Access and Support filter
- Vision (12) Apply Vision filter
Supporting Struggling Students
Sep 21, 2018
Sep 05, 2018